What Christians Believe
Essential Elements of Christian Doctrine
In Christian Doctrine: A Basic Introduction, Dr. Doug Erlandson presents a clearly-written and jargon-free guide to the central doctrines of the Christian faith. Beginning with a section on the source of Christian doctrine, Erlandson argues that the revelation of Scripture must be the primary source of our understanding of the essential doctrines of Christianity. After a discussion on the nature of biblical inspiration, “Christian Doctrine” examines all the major areas of theology, explaining each in a straightforward, easy-to-understand manner. Erlandson makes note of those issues on which major traditions within Christianity disagree.
Here’s a Preview of What’s in the Book
- Who is God? What is the Trinity?
- What does it mean to say man is created in the image of God? Has sin destroyed that image?
- How can Christ be both God and man? What was accomplished by Christ’s death on the cross?
- Who is the Holy Spirit? What is his role in our salvation?
- What are the sacraments? Why are they important?
˃˃˃ Who Can Benefit from Reading this Book?
Although “Christian Doctrine” is written on a level that a beginner can understand, it is thorough in its description of the Christian faith. Even a person with a significant amount of training in theology will be able to benefit from the information and insights it provides.